Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Thankfulness


What a great day this has turned out to be.  And that's saying something because this morning was incredibly difficult. 

Wake up call an hour later than I had hoped, Violet melting down for reasons unknown, yet totally heartbreaking (I think she's cutting molars.  Ouch. Does teething make your house a den of tears too?), no breakfast to be had and a general bad attitude....

Mix it all together and you get grumpy ol' me riding to church while putting on my makeup and thinking about all the things that went wrong.  Which is funny because now that I write them down I keep thinking, "It wasn't that bad."

Easter is supposed to be a celebration, a day of joy and hope.  It's amazing what a bad attitude can do to squelch the celebration. 

Thank goodness for my Sunday school class.  Those women are so encouraging. Following in the same vein of the morning, my mom and I--who usually share teaching responsibilities--had totally miscommunicated about who was teaching today and as a result neither of us were prepared.  So isn't it wonderful that God's plans can't be thwarted even when mine fall apart so easily?  We read in 2 Corinthians and discussed how we are victorious because of Jesus.  I can't believe he lets us ride into his Kingdom on his coattails!  Thinking about heaven, the eventuality of being there worshiping God, and my own inability to have done anything to merit such love and care....I can't describe it well, but my whole mental state shifted. 

So what have I learned?  The cure for a bad attitude is gratitude.  Turns things around pretty quickly.  And it rhymes too, which ain't half bad. 

2 comments:

  1. Such a good perspective! Thank you for sharing!

    Also... what is it about getting out the door to church in the morning that puts all of us in such a bad mood?! I have really got to start getting ready 15 (or 30...) minutes earlier than I think I need to. Honestly.

    beccagarber.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca!

      I agree, I'm always telling myself I should get up earlier! Sometimes I wish sleep weren't so alluring. :)

      Delete